With July on our doorstep it’s time to make the most of what fruits are in season this Summer! Warm nights and even hotter days call for juicy and plump berries that are now fresher than ever these next few months. Come on down to Lucy’s market for a great selection of fresh strawberries, blueberries and blackberries that will star in your summer cooking. See below for some fresh recipe ideas that will make you a favorite in the kitchen, and will keep guests coming back for more all summer long.
All ingredients in each recipe can be found at Lucy's Market.
5 ways to make berries POP this summer
Berry & Mint Ice cubes
Master your cold cocktail with ice cubes that will leave your drink fruity and fresh. Get creative with whatever berry combinations you like. With these fruit ice cubes, watery & flavorless cocktails are a joke of the past!Ingredients:
- Ice cube trays
- Tear up the mint and place in ice tray molds.
- Place a few berries in each mold.
- Fill with water
- Freeze for minimum 4 hours
- Once solid, remove ice cubes by gently tapping on back of moulds or run under hot water
- Place the ice cubes in your drink of choice and enjoy a summer refreshment that will last all afternoon long
Berry Rosé Sangria Spritz
Rosé is a summer favorite, and a Lucy’s Market favorite too! We are stocked with the best of the best labels that are delightful on their own or great in summer cocktails. Fruity, fresh and perfect for when 5pm rolls around… See below for one of our summer cocktail ideas. Pictured below: Mario Luca Federoca Pitcher [$68] and Old Fashioned Acrylic Cups [$12 each]
- 1/2 apple, cored, skin on, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 orange, rind on, sliced into small pieces, large seeds removed (plus more for garnish)
- 1 lime, skin off, cut into small pieces
- handful of blueberries
- handful of chopped strawberries
- 1 bottle of ‘Topo Chico’
- 1 750 ml bottle of dry or sweet Rosé
- A few sprigs of Mint
- Ice to chill
- Combine apple, orange, lime, berries, and mint in a pitcher
- Add Rosé and Topo Chico
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. Can be saved/refrigerated for up to 1 day
- Serve over ice, garnish with orange.
***Optional Ingredient: Add Triple Sec or another complimentary liquor for that boozy boost and extra sweetness.
We love desserts, but what we love even more are desserts that require little to no effort, but still taste delicious. Similar to an ‘Eton-mess’ this Summer Berry Parfait is designed to look messy so no one can judge you on your presentation skills! Looks great served in a chilled glass or in our Mario Luca Dessert Coupé ($26) if you really want to impress.Ingredients:
- Honeysuckle Vanilla Bean gelato
- Honeysuckle Blackberry + Lime sorbet
- Bibba's Pecan Brittle
- Angel Lane Traditional English Shortbread
- Fresh Berries from Lucy's of your choice (we used our blackberries and blueberries)
- Roughly break up shortbread
- Crush half of the brittle into small pieces
- Begin parfait with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream on the bottom and then a layer of shortbread and crushed brittle
- Sprinkle in a few berries
- Add a scoop Blackberry Lime sorbet and another layer of shortbread and crushed brittle
- Continue assembling layer by layer, alternating between vanilla ice-cream and berry sorbet with as many layers and berries as you like
- Be sure to continue adding brittle/shortbread for a good crunch!
- Top with two big chunks of brittle and more beautiful berries. ENJOY
Strawberry, Arugula & Fig Balsamic Salad
A light arugula salad is a summer staple. Freshen your next one up with these few extra ingredients. The sweetness of plump strawberries pairs perfectly with the peppery flavour of our arugula at Lucy’s. The simple addition of Ben Ben’s Spiced Pecans and Alta Cucina Fig Balsamic will wow your guests all summer long!Pictured: Linen ‘Peace’ handtowel [$22], Wooden Salad Bowl [$65] What you’ll need:
- 1 bag of Arugula
- 1/2 container of Lucy's Strawberries
- 1 handful of Ben Ben’s spiced pecans
- ‘Alta Cucina’ Fig balsamic vinegar
- Slice strawberries and roughly chop pecans
- Toss through arugula in a large bowel
- Finish with a drizzle of fig balsamic
Berry Bliss Smoothie bowl
This smoothie bowl is perfect for a refreshing meal in the summer heat, and you won’t believe how easy it is! Can be made with any combination of fruit, and a great way to test your food decorating skills.What we used:
- 1 handful of frozen strawberries from Lucy's (and fresh, for decorating)
- 3 frozen bananas from Lucy's (and fresh, for decorating)
- 1 handful of frozen blueberries from Lucy's(and fresh, for decorating)
- Savannah Bee Honey (about 1 or 2 tablespoons, or to desired sweetness)
- Heidi’s Gluten-Free Granola
- Feridie’s almonds
- A few splashes of water
- Crush almonds in a small baggie.
- In a blender, combine frozen strawberries, bananas, blueberries and water
- Once everything starts to blend together, add honey.
- After it is blended smoothly but still has thick consistency, stop blending.
- Pour into a bowl and smooth the surface
- Get creative! Decorate the bowl however you like with sliced fruit, almonds and granola- yum!
Written by: India Roberts-Smilie